The Future of Cherokee

Posted by Mike Glodeck on September 2, 2008 | 76 Comments

walkable, tree lined, urban, commercial district

walkable, tree lined, urban, commercial district

Have you seen the future of Cherokee?  What did it look like?  Did you see an entertainment district?  An Arts district? A Green district? Did you see more residences on the street?  More trees?  What kind of businesses do you see?  Do you see clothing stores?  Bicycle repair shops?  Scooter retailers?  Do you see more greenery?  More public art?  More pedestrians? Do you see a farmer’s market?  A Flea market?  An outdoor bazaar?  What words would you use to describe this future?  Colorful? International? Fresh?  Funky?  Stylish?  Organic?  Liveable? Walkable?

What do you see and how can we get there?  Can we help you start up a committee to research something you’d like to see on the street?  Do you know someone who wants to open a boutique but doesn’t quite know where to start?  Do you know someone who wants to renovate a building and needs help finding the owner?  People are here to help you develop your vision for the future.  We want to see interesting things on the street and are surprisingly flexible on what we are willing to do to make that happen.

Post comments on this blog.  Come to a business association meeting.  Stop people on the street.  Go into a business and ask for help.  You will find people who are friendly and helpful and want to see knew faces and energy on the street.  Let’s make it happen.  For the future.  For yourself.  For the fun of it!

1. Darwin on January 31, 2010 11:04 am

yes,yes,that was a nice idea…but why copy Austin…or was it an original idea…i no remember. Sooooo…urban farms…fruit crates…ya get it? i like the idea of coffin races also-but man-i think someones do’n that already-maybe there’s noth’n new and we should go with pancake fest/feast and coffin races and …i got it—coffin races for Day of the Dead fest—be there!!!!

2. woodenhead on February 3, 2010 1:55 pm

bee hive races?

3. bob on February 3, 2010 6:14 pm

bee hives? no,no- we won’t have such fuckery. coffin races or chicken coop races-my vote goes with the coops I think. What fun building “derby racers” looking like chicken coops…which have few limits as far as design.

4. kennylolenny on February 5, 2010 4:32 pm

well will the chicken coop racers at least have chickens in them? these would be fun ideas to close off the street for. we can think of lots of prize categories.

5. Jason Hodge on February 6, 2010 3:08 am

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself, I am a tattoo artist and interested buisness owner in your neighborhood. I am not your typical tattoo artist. I worked in the toy and game industry for many years as an artist and sculptor. I then proceeded to craft merchandise for many national touring bands. Which lead me to my one true passion, is to TATTOO!

Let me explain what I am trying to accomplish. I am currently trying to get support for my tattoo shop in 904 cherokee st. On the second floor of Mr. Jimi Gunn’s Brewhouse Music Studio. My shop will have no store front, no signage, be pure appointment only, focusing on servicing STL bands and high profile clientele. This will be the first entirely disposable shop in the STL, meaning all tattoo or piercing gear is single use. Cutting down on any contamination and limiting blood borne pathogens. My plan over the next 5 years is:
    1: To add a beauty salon, I am going to cosmetology school in the fall.
    2. Open a tattoo supply warehouse. Catering to online and local sales.
    3. This is the big one. Get my AP credidation to have tattoo and body piercing recognized as a tradeskill. That means lots of lobbying in Jefferson City. The goal of this is to open the states first tattoo and body piercing technical collage.

I am also working towards having a concert venue on the third floor of the same building and have the investors to back both these ideas. My main problem is everything rides on Mr. Gunn’s buisnesses also, as almost all of my future clients are members of the bands he has practice in this building or friends of those musicians.

I and the other invested parties will be going door to door, buisness to buisness, and becoming active in civic issues in your neighborhood. I will provide an info sheet giving more details to our plans with 904 Cherokee St. I look forward to meeting any and all of you, listening to your concerns, and hopefully becoming friends over the next 5 years.

So over the next few weeks I look forward to meeting you, going to Association Meetings, helping the community in any way I can, and building the foundation to my shop. Also if you see a tall, purple with black haired, tattooed, fellow walking around in a suit, feel free to stop me and say hi…

Jason Hodge
    Hopeful Owner of Symbiotic Studios and The Cauldron at Lemp

6. bob on February 6, 2010 9:26 am

Re: the coop racers-well, I think maybe chickens-live chickens could be seen as egg layer abuse so I think maybe RUBBER chickens would be fine. In Chicken Alaska you get a free rubber chicken w/a fill up which has NOTHING to do w/us…I’ll order a 100 rubber chicken and throw them to the crowd as I race down Cherokee to cross the finish line-marked w/a row of colorfull plastic(made from hemp) eggs

7. kennylolenny on February 6, 2010 10:48 pm

you think your going to make it to the finish line before i do? it’s gonna be me throwing the rubber chickens dude. but i gotta appreciate the hemp-plastic eggs. you’ve truly touched my soul.

8. sockpuppet on February 8, 2010 9:56 am

chickens-ya want chickens-ya go rescue them feathered friends-them girly hens runnin round bolozone from them trustafarians—d-dang, thems may not all be hens

9. woodenhead on February 12, 2010 11:39 pm

they ate them chickens, well half of em, half the chickens i mean, i mean half the number of chicken not half a chicken. well maybe somebody ate a half and somebody else ate the other half. but 4 whole chickens were eaten. Oh, and at least of the eaten ones was a rooster.

10. bert on February 13, 2010 10:00 am

are you saying a rooster is a chicken but a chicken’s not a rooster…I mean and who eats half a chicken-and which half do they eat-and wow,freak the people in the Donner Party ate all their friends all the soft parts anyway

11. nevertidy on February 22, 2010 10:58 am

i too see-feel a fleet…..
    one is moving feet ( a la flinstones)
    one or a few’s biodeesl
    one is tall bike squad (we got the welder if you got the notion)
    trikes and trailers and pedicabs abound
    then… there IS the ** FOOTBEAT **
    song soul patrol
    lace garterbelts replacing thems that got gunnholsters
    roads closed so chickens can byyOOK!
    crisscross ’em
    and our hearts are a big bee hive
    taaaaaaaaxi!!!!! can i get a

“Something is happening”

12. ocilacotac on February 23, 2010 1:45 am

well the other day i was walking down Cherokee
    an’ i felt a beat
    the beat of the groovy people
    and their sway
    and it was nice
    it was good

made me think of mid summer nights
    hot and sweaty in STL,
    even being February

your right, something is happening

13. kennylolenny on February 23, 2010 2:06 am

what i wouldn’t give for a hot and sweaty summer night right about now!
    walk down Cherokee with an orange soda and a veggie burrito. some groovy music happening on the corners, some tall bikes riding by, those dancing minstrels, oh summer, where art thou?
    Cherokee is happening.

14. sockpuppet on February 23, 2010 9:25 am

yes,yes, all is good when it’s hot and sweaty and It’s like a dream ya get to live when the sun comes up and the birds start chirping and bees start a buzz’n aaaaand eggs start a roll’n out the nesting boxes and the gilz all do’n yoga all winter look’n so good—I’ll be a liv’n at the corner of Cali and Cherokee w/a veggie burrito half in /half out

15. bob on February 23, 2010 9:52 am

You all seem to see things that aren’t there. Like yellow bricks paving the road- well did you notice the man behind the curtain…I think it’s just Craig Schmid – I bought my glasses where he bought his and I just don’t see it.

16. AVD on February 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Bob & Allissa’s convo-

Paducah, KY has an interesting program along similar lines, with seemingly a lot of buy in from the city and lenders.

17. ocilacotac on February 23, 2010 4:46 pm

oh i’ve seen your yellow bricks and the roads they define
    i prefer the green glazed bricks shine
    the reflections and
    the suggestions
    of all the happenings in time

18. Darwin on February 23, 2010 6:32 pm

street paving-you got me going now-remove the asphalt and expose the brick pavers and let the others follow the yellow brick road to lala land while we watch the weeds grow in the sidewalk cracks… and what’s the deal with that agri-yoga at CAMP…is that yoga for farmers…

19. yes yes on March 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Bob, we need to take over Cherokee St with or with out Craig Schmid, he is nothing but an employee of the tax payers, and make Cherokee St an exclusive artist crib recognized by St. Louisans and nationwide.

20. sockpuppet on March 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I 2nd that…or is that 3rd…the revolution won’t be televised…dang-the transformation won’t be televised. We just need to do it- All do our little piece-like a quilt-it will be huge and they’ll wonder how it happened and try to duplicate it other places but won’t be able to because it’s the people-us-individuals that make it. You all should buy up the 4 vacant buildings just n. of the casaloma on ohio-and do that lra lot there as community garden.

21. bob on March 25, 2010 10:06 pm

yes folks-we need to start on the spokes of this wheel or it isn’t going to roll far. and while we’re at it-all DEVELOPERS should be asked to register and be issued those dog training collars-and all the artists and anyone riding a bicycle gets to have the remotes.

22. Wick on June 3, 2010 10:46 pm

Is there any plan to make Cherokee St. a desirable area or is it all talk? Cherokee east of Jefferson is looking much better, but west of Jefferson is pretty poor looking. The addition of Blackbear Bakery and Foam are a great start, but it is not going to be enough to change the overall apperance of the historic street. Does anyone think it would be possible to get rid of the rent-a-center that plays rap music during the day? And why does Craig Schmid allow so many mexican restuarants to open up? I enjoy mexican food, but 5 on one block is ridiculous. I think Cherokee has great potential, and as a real estate developer investing in the neighborhood there is nothing I would like more than to see a massive transformation, but the current leadership set in place lacks the vision and the intestinal fortitude to make Cherokee better than it has ever been before. The question is…who wants to step up to the challenge???

23. JM on June 4, 2010 9:10 am

Organic development takes time. Improvements are already evident, but they are still in progress. I think everyone would agree Cherokee west of Jefferson has improved and I don’t think many would deny that there is room for continued improvement. Glad you’re along for the ride here!

It would be illegal to place a limit on how many mexican restaurants could open within one block. As a developer, I’m surprised you would think Schmid would have control over that.

24. sockpuppet on June 4, 2010 5:57 pm

WICK is not real right? Someone made him up right? I’m sorry, maybe he IS a developer and recently fell off a ladder…the ladder to his wagon

25. Ben West on June 9, 2010 12:08 pm

@Wick It is hard for me to believe your comments are sincere. The Hispanic residents and business owners have every right to live and work wherever they please, or more importantly wherever they can secure space, just like everyone else. To suggest the alderman should impose race-based quotas is absurd at best.

26. George K on December 31, 2014 3:35 pm

NO MORE bars on Cherokee st.

Name (required)