Graffiti Man Caught Red-Handed

Posted by Jason Deem on July 12, 2009 | 27 Comments

David Reeves (AKA ShiniGami) was arrested Friday around 5pm after officers observed the work below in progress on the side of 2613 Cherokee (there’s another “fuck” at the back of the building for good measure.) Similar fuckmarks were also seen on 2315 Cherokee in Antique Row.

This is the same individual who wrote “Not Art” over the Obama Wall at 2643 Cherokee and the shamrock at 2608 Cherokee back in March.

The prosecuting attorney is recommending probation with a restriction that he is not allowed on Cherokee.

INCIDENT: Property Damage
LOCATION: 2600 Block of Cherokee
DATE/TIME: 7/10/09 @ 7:47 P.M.
SUSPECT: David Reeves, 51 year old White Male of the 3300 block of Jefferson Avenue

Police discovered the suspect spray painting the side of a building in the 2600 block of Cherokee. The suspect was taken into custody. On July 11, The Circuit Attorney’s office issued a warrant for Property Damage 2nd.

27 Comments
  1. Jason M Stokes on July 12, 2009 10:56 pm

I can only advocate the Singaporean approach to this destruction. Restitution and 3 swats with the cane. I’m sure he’d think twice as opposed to his probation.

2. Haley Brownsten on July 14, 2009 10:43 am

What a loser….

What ever happen to that cool Eye mural up the street…we need more stuff likee that other than this scrawl!

3. Bryan Walsh on July 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Haley- Peat had the eyes, etc. going. Then, “magically,” it was buffed by Operation Brightside even though the owner is cool with the boards being painted. A little birdie told me recently that their may be some decoration happening in the near future.

4. ShinGami on July 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Wasn’t this a re-action to “Operation Brightside” painting over Pete’s artwork.

Cohen vs California, US Supreme Court

“One man’s Vulgarity is Another Man’s Lyric.”

If Building owner says Pete and anyone else can have their work up, the city CANNOT restrict it. Need I go into all the other US Supreme Court rulings. 1st Amend, and then , need I say it, 14th.

Left Graf Writers do work that the owners allow, and you won’t get dumb fucks like me painting up your hood.

I have a new word now, “FuckMarks”.

Thanks, new selling point in NYC.

5. Building Owner on July 15, 2009 2:06 pm

“Wasn’t this a re-action to “Operation Brightside” painting over Pete’s artwork.” No, Operation Brightside painting over Peat’s work was a reaction to you painting over Peat’s work which made it look like crap. Peat has work in other areas that’s been up for much longer. I think the general consensus is that the neighborhood embraces Peat’s work. Your work is a different story.

If the building owner said Peat can have his work up, that doesn’t imply that “anyone else” is allowed to as well. Also, painting on plywood is completely different than painting on brick. The building you tagged was built in the 1800′s. The pressure washing required to remove your painting is damaging to the soft brick.

6. ShinGami on July 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Was built in the early 1900′st latest. Look at the brick style. I’ll remove it, I already got the press I needed.

Malcolm McLaren. “Cultivate Hatred, it’s your greatest Asset”.

Acetone and me are best friends. And read my Bio. You really think all those old school Graf Writers are going to feel your pain? They are all laughing at you, been on phone all day.

Fuck you, I didn’t “Paint Over Pete’s Work”, I tagged the middle with a “Not Art”. You think there isn’t a reason the City of New York had me assemble the best artists for that show, and we’re doing the 105th Anniv this fall.

I need to get back to my NYC show work for November, but this was a good side distraction.

7. ShinGami on July 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Oh, and thanks for the “FuckMark” word, I will use it on everything.

“Media Creates that which did not exist before.”

8. Amber on July 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Wha?
    Show some respect ShinGami, if you don’t care about our built environment, stay in NY, by all means. Seriously if I walk upon you defacing brick I’ll go ninja on you.

9. ShinGami on July 15, 2009 11:09 pm

Amber,
    Is that a threat.

Put your cock back in your pants.

I just pissed myself, I’m scared.

Mom Mee

10. Eric@CAMP on July 16, 2009 3:40 am

Draw better tags. Add some flair. Some artistry if you will.

Most people gave up scrawling curse words in chickenscratch handwriting by about age 13.

I’m all about street art, legal or not, but seriously man, your stuff is ugly and amateur. And scrawling across someone’s WIP is wrong even within the graf community, especially within the graf community.

11. Amber on July 16, 2009 6:56 am

ShinGam, all joking aside, what you did was done without respect of the history of this building you defaced, without concern for the community and property owners, and it wasn’t even artfully presented and had no message beyond your own drunken understanding. If you truly had something to say, or something positive to offer to the equation I’m sure there would have been a better way to go about it. You have proven nothing other than there is no place for you around here, please go to NY and don’t come back. Although, I’ve seen a lot of street art images from NY, and I can’t imagine what you did going over very well in that community if you present yourself so poorly and with so little creativity. What is your point in all of this anyway?

12. NotArt on July 16, 2009 11:36 am

That isn’t art, my cat could do a better job!

13. ShiniGami on July 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Ha

Scratchin’s got NeckFace far enough didn’t it.

Now I got FuckMarks.

Simulacra and Simulation my friends.

As with a Kiss, it’s not pressure, it’s placement.

Move along kids…………

14. No, Excuse me: on July 16, 2009 1:10 pm

…. you are mistaken, ShinGame. You got Fuck(ed). I got FuckMarks. Immediately after its inception. Got the email exchange to prove it. I talked directly to the author. He gave it to me. He really Gave it to me. From the Source!

15. ShiniGami on July 16, 2009 1:40 pm

sorry, registered it in the AM in Hong Kong. And got commercial use.

I am the FuckMarker you ‘al fucktards

16. ShiniGami on July 16, 2009 1:43 pm

And now I see allot of other “Fucks” scrawled on walls, not me, dam, can I get a 7% royalty at least.

FuckMarker – TM

17. urbandictionary.com on July 16, 2009 3:23 pm

fuckmarks:
    A class of non-gang related graffiti/tagging left by a fuckwad. Often resembling the scrawl of a young child, fuckmarks are distinguishable from street art in that they posses a distinct lack of creativity and artistic talent in both style and message.

In many cases involving fuckmarks, the fuckwad, when confronted may be delusional and claim to be a talented artist in another large city such as New York or Los Angeles.

18. Eric@CAMP on July 16, 2009 5:05 pm

^^^^^^^^

19. ShinGami on July 16, 2009 6:15 pm

LOL, Urban Dictionary

You see how many words I have credited there?

Buy the latest one, I have 2 credited in it.

Shoot me on sight.

I’m the biggest Fucktard around. LOL

Go Bromagnons.

20. Angelo on July 16, 2009 9:32 pm

I’m so confused.

21. samizdat on July 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Just another self-absorbed narcissist. Fancies himself a Prankster, a Fool tweaking the nose of society Spluttering on about a Constitution he doesn’t understand nor cares about, except for his own selfish needs. Much like a rabid NRA member. I find him and his antics rather amusing, claiming the mantle of Some Great Free-Thinker, while being of the same personality as those who would be the first to put the Boot to your neck. Funny guy. More jokes, please, Mr. ShinGami.

22. ShiniGami on July 19, 2009 9:17 pm

LOL, whenever you want to get into constitutional law, let me know. I’ve read all of the Federalist Papers. Oh, and yes, I’m a NRA card carrying dumb fuck.

That’s all the Fed Papers, not just the 1st 70 printed in the newspapers.

Semper fi

You even know how many amendment there are, without Google? And what was the last one. Hint, it took almost 200 years to get ratified.

Oh, and what charges?

23. Eric@CAMP on July 21, 2009 2:59 pm

So what does congressional compensation have to do with chicken scratch vandalism without style without flair without beauty without meaning without content?

and please, leave your pomo babble about the lack of content being the content for an undergrad lit crit class where it might still blow some minds.

Graf artists already have an uphill battle to argue that even amazing pieces are worthy of consideration as artistic expression. Now you are really going to argue that spraypainting fuck on a wall AND defacing someone else’s work in progress are astute and pressing cultural commentary?

24. Linda Jones on July 24, 2009 10:30 am

We enjoy living on Cherokee Street, and have met some great neighbors. I do not appreciate you using the f word in your website that represents our neighborhood. You could use blank spaces and people would figure it out. The newsletter article is not any better than the graffiti when it comes to contamination of the heart and mind!

Raising the standard.
    Linda Jones

25. Michael on July 26, 2009 12:47 am

“Please. Not only are you untalented but you’re arrogant and dismissive. That’s like the holy triumvirate of butthead.”

That’s the funniest and most insightful thing I’ve read all day.

26. Ben on July 26, 2009 4:24 am

Hey ShinGami,

Remember the wack tagger from ‘Stylewars’ who specialized in plopping his lame white ‘Cap’ over anyone else’s tag (or mural) he could find within the 5 burroughs, just to get the broadest coverage possible regardless of whether his work even was looking at?

Don’t be that guy. It’s really sad.

27. southsidered on July 27, 2009 12:07 pm

What a turd. Thanks for taking time out of your glamorous NYC art-scene lifestyle to scrawl vacuous juvenilia all over St. Louis. Sounds like a very rewarding way to spend your waning years on Earth.

Name (required)